Monday, November 17, 2008

God Knows Best

Saturdays events were a huge success! It was a long day but well worth it. I got up early to head down to the barn to get breakfast for everyone and get loaded up so we could head to the dogie salon. After talking to several different people, I decided to use Paws to Wash in Bridgman.

We arrived at the wash and I went in to meet the owner Beth McNeil and to double check the accommodations. I was Leary of the tubs, (leary or not we had to do this today, I had no back up). I thought they were walk in to the floor of the tub from the ramp. It was walk up the ramp which was steeper then my girl was use to. Then she had to step down into the tub. She was so good and listened to my commands through the whole thing.

It was rather cute as she was in the tub she looked like a regular large black dog from a distance and we had several people surprised as they were not looking real close and just going about talking and then shocked to see a horse in the dog tub.

Getting out she was just as good and then we went into a separate room to get blow dryed. The forced air is still a little worrisome but after awhile it was all in a days work for her. I could not seem to get her coat dry. The long winter coat with the protective oils on it is hard to get completely dry but she was dry enough for the hour and a half drive to Grand Rapids. I knew that the heat in the van would help her dry more.

We arrived at our evaluations site and I ran in to, again, see what the arrangements were and where we were actually going to be. I finished up my paper work and then we out to get Nim. The evaluator was absolutely great and everyone else was excited as they don't get mini's in for therapy often.

She was the best pony every! She walked in there like she knew exactly what was going on, no messes and was right on cue for everything. We had people in from the rehab center who liked to watch and she was great and showed the evaluator she knew her job.

We passed all the test, and are now sending in to get our badge. They have a scoring chart that is NA, for handler needs to do something other then therapy work. NC, for pet not ready yet. A 1, that is you have met Delta requirements and a 2, that is you have passed Delta requirements. Out of 25 we surpassed all of delta requirements except 4 which we still got a 1 on. I am so very proud of my girl.

The evaluator was so impressed how we did that she wants to put us in personal contact with the coordinator from Mary Freebed. Also to try contacting Borgoss down here in Kalamazoo who do not have a mini horse in their program yet, and they only take Delta certified.

After all of that she then went to a church children's group and was fussed over and they all got to ask questions and pet the pony.

She has truly surpassed all of my expectations for her. She is one of a kind. God knew what he was dong when he matched us up together.

No comments: