Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First for everything

Today was a hectic and trying day. In working in my Delta manual it occurred to me that they wanted the pet, (not just the dogs)bathed within 24 hours of the visit. I am suppose to treat saturdays evaluation exactly like a visit. I have a horse who lives in the barn where its 30 degrees out right now and she has her fair share of a winter coat.

So on the phone I go, to try to find a self serve doggie wash. I have heard we have them in our area but never actually had to use one before. I worry about washing nim in the bathtub at home as it will be real slick and getting her in and out over the edge. I finally found one in ST. JOE that is like a walk in shower with tile around, great but still slick. I finally talked to a nice lady in Bridgman who has tubs with a ramp (not really what I wanted) but she has horse experience and seems very willing to help so far as to open up early for me so I can get her bathed and blow dried and get to Grand Rapids in time for our appointment.

It also occurred to me that these were not your at home hair dryers, they were commercial grade dogie dryers. That means lots of noise and a great degree of forced air. I know the noise would not bother her as we walk by generators etc... BUT the forced air might bother her.

I remembered my dad had a professional dryer from when he showed dogs so we went over to borrow that to get her use to it. It worked out well, she was wet from the rain so we brought her into the barn and turned it on. I placed her supper in front of her so it would be a positive experience. I was right, noise no big deal but the blowing air she was not fond of. After a little coaxing and starting slowly at the feet she stood still for me to blow dry her. We did both sides and of course one side is not as comfortable as the other but that is expected out of a horse with something new.

I could not be happier with her reaction to it all and she made great strides today. Nothing like doing everything last minute, but as we go through the next couple days we will keep doing it a little every day and she will be a pro at going to the salon.

No comments: